Abbreviation of Lab : LRDE
Lab Name : Electronics and Radar Development Establishment
Address : Ministry of Defence, DRDO, C V Ramannagar,
Tel : 080 – 25243873
Fax : 080 – 25242916
Email : email@example.com
Director Name : Shri SS Nagaraj, Outstanding Scientist
LRDE – A BRIEF INTRODUCTION
LRDE was setup under DRDO to address the Services needs in the field of Radars, Communication Systems and related technologies. It was born out of Technical Development Establishment (TDE) at Rawalpindi and moved to Dehradun in 1946. The TDE (Electronics) further bifurcated into two wings in 1955 and moved to Bangalore as Electronics Research and Development Establishment (LRDE) and Chief Inspectorate of Electronics (CIL) in 1958. LRDE came under DRDO on 01 Jan 1958. In 1962 it was renamed as Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) to develop Radar and Communication Systems to meet requirements of the Services. The responsibility of Communication systems development was transferred to CAIR in 2001. After implementation of Rama Rao Committee recommendations, seven cluster labs were created in DRDO and LRDE is a part of the Electronics & Communications Systems Cluster (ECS) headed by Director General (ECS).
The design and development of Indian Doppler Radar (INDRA) series radars for Army and Airforce, followed by Rajendra Phased Array Radar and 3D Central Acquisition Radar (3D CAR) for Akash Weapon system, Battle Field Surveillance Radar – Short Range (BFSR-SR) for Army, 3D Surveillance radar-ROHINI for Air Force, 3D Surveillance Radar – Revathi for Navy, 3D Tactical Control Radar (3D TCR) for Army, Low Level Light Weight Radar – BHARANI for Army, 3D Low Level Light Weight Radar -ASLESHA for Air Force, Weapon Locating Radar (WLR)-SWATHI for Army, Xtra Vision 2004 (XV 2004) for Maritime Surveillance, Primary radar for Airborne Early Warning & Control System (PR for AEW&C) for Air force, Medium Power Radar (MPR)-ARUDHRA for Airforce, Low Level Transportable Radar (LLTR)-ASHWINI for Airforce, Air Defence Tactical Control Radar (ADTCR) and Air Defence Fire Control Radar (ADFCR) for Army, etc., is a true reflector of the maturity of LRDE, not only in the mastering of ground based, ship borne and airborne complex radar systems, but also in the practice of concurrent system engineering, R&D – Industry Partnership and Professional approach to Technology & Project Management. The users’ unflinching faith has transformed LRDE as a force to reckon with. Many of such radars are now accepted or inducted by the Users.
Today, LRDE is the premier Radar Systems laboratory with Core Competence and established expertise to build advanced Radar Systems, which include short to long-range radar for ground, ship borne and air borne surveillance, tracking and weapon control. LRDE has developed many advanced radar technologies including transmit and receive modules, slotted waveguide array antennas, microstrip array antennas, multibeam antennas, high power transmitters, high purity signal sources, high bandwidth waveform generation systems, programmable signal and data processors and radar controllers.
LRDE received ISO 9001:2001 certification on 01 Mar 2006. The certificate was renewed as per the revised ISO 9001: 2008 standard wef 01 Mar 2009. LRDE is presently an ISO 9001:2015 certified establishment with a manpower of around 720 qualified Scientists/Engineers/Technical & Administrative Staff.
To create a centre of excellence in radar and electronics technologies by developing and delivering world class systems to meet the customer requirements.
- To design and develop Radar systems meeting the current and futuristic requirements of Services and paramilitary forces, keeping in view the emerging threat and EW scenario.
- To contribute towards building self reliance in contemporary Radar systems and associated technologies through Industry collaboration.
- To promote collaborative research and core competence within the country, in the field of Radar systems and emerge as the national centre of excellence in Radar Technology.
LRDE is a premier Radar Systems laboratory with Core Competence and established expertise in the design and development of radars for
• Frequency Band : VHF to Ka Band
• Range : few cms to 100s of km
• Function : Surveillance, Fire Control, Imaging, Multifunction
• Platform : Ground, Sea, Air, Space
• Targets : Mines, Men, Vehicles, Ships, Aircraft, UAVs, Missiles, hells, Mortars, Satellites
The Radars developed have established :-
- Reliable performance in all terrain and weather conditions
- Electromagnetic Interface and Compatibility as per military standards
- Weapon Systems Integration
- Networking of Radar as Force Multiplier
LRDE also provides :-
- Production Support after Transfer of Technology to Production Agency
- Documents for User Training and Operation & Maintenance
- Radar Life Cycle Support including Obsolescence Management
- Design and development of Radar systems for Indian Army, Navy, Air Force & Homeland Security, Radar technologies for multi-function and multi-mission applications.
- Radar System Engineering
- Develop critical radar technologies- Transmit-Receive (TR) Modules, slotted waveguide array antenna, phased array antenna, multibeam antenna, microstrip antenna, High Power Transmitters, Digital Receivers, Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS) Modules, Programmable Signal and Data Processors, Digital Beam Forming units & Radar Controllers
- Design and Development of major sub-systems – Mechanical and Electronic Scanning Antennas, High Performance Exciters and Receivers, High Power Transmitters, Digital Signal & Data Processors, Consoles, Mechanical Engineering
- System Integration and Evaluation
- Radar System Integration with other entities
- Environmental Engineering including EMI/EMC
- Enabling ‘Make in India’ through Vendor development for Radar Subsystem realization
- TOT & Post Production support